Windshield wipers are so often overlooked, but they are such a crucial part of our cars. Wipers ensure our safety by helping us see through our windshield whenever it rains, snows, or fogs up when we drive. However, wipers can be very irritating if they aren't doing their job well. To ensure everyone's safety, we suggest you stay on top of when they need to be replaced. Some signs of failing wipers include skipping, streaking, and squeaking noises. According to many manufacturers, you should swap out your windshield wipers once every six months to one year. However, they can require attention before that time frame if not taken care of properly. To help extend the use of your windshield wipers, follow these maintenance tips:
- Clean your windshield. Cleaning your windscreen will limit the amount of dirt and debris that sticks to your wiper blades.
- Wipe your wipers. As you regularly use them, your wipers blades collect dust and dirt. You can remove the debris to keep the rubber parts in good condition.
- Apply a rubber protectant. In addition to wiping your blades, you can also use a rubber protectant on the rubbery parts of the edge to preserve its quality.
- Avoid running your wipers on a dry surface. It is common knowledge, but you should never have your wipers running unless you struggle to see through your windscreen.
- Park in the shade. The sun will dry out the windshield wipers faster and even cause distortion.
- Inspect your windshield wipers often. A good habit to get into is to take a look and clean your windshield every time you stop to fill up on gas.
Next time you come by for an oil change, feel free to ask your technician to check your windshield wipers and windshield fluid. At BG Automotive, we can replace your windshield wipers for your convenience. If your car requires any repairs or maintenance, give us a call or visit today.